Smartphones are one of the best things to happen in communication. Their ability to almost think for one, send vivid images, pass across information faster than the speed of light, and solve certain problems,makes them an almost indispensable accessory to the modern man.
However, inasmuch as they play a significant role, the variant requirement of different individuals constantly puts competing phone developers and companies on edge to outdo each other, and better serve the ever loyal smartphone consumers.
Seeing how peculiar and unique, Nigerian smartphone users are, with their tastes varying greatly from every other smartphone user around the world, smartphone developers would definitely pay a fortune to know once and for all, what Nigerians truly want from their smartphones.
Not a tough one really, Its very simple:
- Long lasting battery: All the features in the world, without this quality makes any smartphone almost impossible to use, to the average Nigerian. With the current state of power in the country a huge concern, Nigerians need a smartphone that can last as long as possible without being charged. With full functionality, the average smartphone has between 6 to 8 hours usage time, but if this can be extended by a lot, it would better serve the average Nigerian.
- Camera quality: With phone camera quality these days rivaling many digital cameras, more and more people world wide are becoming amateur photographers, and starting to pay more attention to their social media profiles. Since over eighty percent of smartphone users are active on social media, most want to share with the world better pictures of themselves, and events around them. Speaking to our respondents, a large percentage of them believed one thing that makes an ideal phone is its picture quality, as it helps them better capture and share the details of their best memories.
- Large Memory space: For Pictures, Applications and videos, to satisfy Nigerians a smartphone needs to have a a relatively large memory capacity to hold all these and more.
- Easy Navigation: The average Nigerian finds ease of Navigation an attractive feature, as no one wants to spend hours navigating widgets and shortcuts, to find an application.
- Durability: Considering how rough day to day life could be sometimes, phones might fall due to carelessness, get cracked or damaged. As such, a phone that is able to withstand shock, is water resistant, or scratch proof ibecomes more desirable to the Nigerian smartphone user.
- Data ‘retrievability and ‘transferability’: Many phones get stolen or lost on a daily basis (shout out to careless people who buy expensive phones). A smartphone’s ability to recover data, or be found, thus makes it more desirable to any Nigerian. Given the circumstances where new phone models change on the regular, the ability to recover data in a former phone, makes a phone priceless to a Nigerian.
Those are the top things an average Nigerian wants from a smartphone. Others include, Application compatibility, Internet speed, portability, etc.
Above all, Nigerians are concerned with using a smartphone that is most suitable to prevalent conditions in the country. What are your requirements and the things you look out for before purchasing your smartphones? Simply share in the comment section below…