Well guys, the Samsung Galxay S8 is finally here. And it didn’t come alone, it came with its elder sister, the Galaxy S8+. I’m just really excited, I feel like something new has been added to my life, even though I don’t have the gadget yet. But that doesn’t mean I’ve not touched it before…yeah, I touched it in my dream. Lol.
Anyways, for Samsung, these new devices are like a rebound in reference to the Note 7. And Samsung is trying really hard to gain its consumers’ trust. “The Samsung Galaxy S8 ushers in a new era of smartphone design and fantastic new services, opening up new ways to experience the world,” said DJ Koh, President of Mobile Communications Business, Samsung Electronics. “The Galaxy S8 is our testament to regaining your trust by redefining what’s possible in safety and marks a new milestone in Samsung’s smartphone legacy.”
Okay, let’s talk about the devices….Similarities.
- The Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8+ both run on Android 7.0, obviously if they featured a lower version of Android, that would be *thumbs down* for Samsung.
- For the memory, they both have 4GB of RAM and 64GB of internal memory which is expandable up to 256GB.
- Camera, oh camera, we love thee. With thy advanced 8MP F1.7 Smart autofocus front camera and 12MP F1.7 Dual Pixel rear camera which giveth us good picture quality even in low light.
- As for the processor, they feature either the Octa core (2.3GHz Quad + 1.7GHz Quad), 64 bit, 10nm processor or the Octa core (2.35GHz Quad + 1.9GHz Quad), 64 bit, 10nm processor. I said ‘either’ because Samsung says it may differ by markets and mobile operators. Who knows which is coming to Nigeria?
- They both feature a fingerprint sensor and an Iris scanner, so you get to choose which one works best for you as per security.
Now to the differences
Galaxy S8: With a display of 5.8” (146.5mm) and dimensions of 148.9 x 68.1 x 8.0 mm, 155g, I think Samsung did something quite fair. It has a battery capacity of 3,000mAh with fast charging on both wired and wireless. But the wireless chargers will be sold separately.
Galaxy S8+: On the other hand, this comes with a display of 6.2” (158.1mm) and dimensions of 159.5 x 73.4 x 8.1 mm, 173g. It also features both wired and wireless fast charging and its battery capacity is 3,500mAh.
Bixby is Samsung’s new digital assistant and these new devices will be the first to feature it. The devices come with a Bixby button which grants you access to Bixby and helps you navigate through services and apps with simple voice, touch and text commands. Samsung also says that users can easily shop, search for images and get details about nearby places with Bixby’s image recognition technology.
Moving on, the S8 and S8+ will be available in Midnight Black, Orchid Gray and Arctic Silver. Pre-orders for both devices will begin at 12:01 EDT on March 30, 2017. And they will hit the US stores from April 21. Samsung is also giving out Gear VR headset with Controller and Oculus content for free, to those who pre-order the Galaxy S8 or S8+.
We currently have no information as to when the devices will hit the remaining parts of the world.