Video blogging is a rapidly growing segment of the internet and Youtube is one of the most popular video sharing platforms we have.
With so many people on YouTube, one can be confused on who to pay attention to, and who not to. But we see apparently, that some vloggers stand out better than others. So now what makes them stand out? What makes people give them the light of day? What are the secrets of these outstanding vloggers?
These questions and many more are reasons a workshop was held during the Social Media Week Lagos 2017, to address these issues. The workshop held on the 2nd of March 2017 and it was facilitated by Nigerian Youtube creators, Tito Abumere, BellaRose Okojie (our very own) and Stella-Maris Ikelionwu of Stella’s Addiction. Through a Q&A session, they were able to show participants what it takes to start a vlog, how to stand out as a vlogger, and how to find an audience.
Some of the highlighted points were:
- For your video to be clickable on Youtube, you need to have an attractive thumbnail, a catchy title, a description that best summarises your video and then likely search tags.
- You need to pay attention to comments that are being made on your video, so as to know the mind of your audience. That way, you’ll be delivering content based on the needs of the people and not just your own thinking or feeling.
- You also need to up your SEO game as this is one sure way people will be able to find you in the first place.
- Instead of depending on google ads or number of views to generate income, you can partner up with brands you can showcase.
- Paying attention to the particular time or day your audience will be online helps you to know when and how to put out your content.
These and many more were issues discussed at the workshop.
Check out the video below.
( Sorry for the low quality, we could not stream at a higher quality yesterday because of poor internet service)