Apply for the TechWomen Programe
TechWomen is an initiative of the US Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs that brings emerging women leaders in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) from the Middle East and Africa together with their counterparts in the United States for a professional mentorship and exchange program. Each TechWomen Emerging Leader is paired with a Professional and a Cultural Mentor. Each mentor has a unique role in supporting the Emerging Leader throughout her time in the United States. This year, the program will take place from October 1st to November 6th – beginning with project-based mentorships in Silicon Valley and concluding with enrichment activities in Washington, DC.
TechWomen is accepting applications for the 2013 program from women who are permanent residents of Algeria, Cameroon, Egypt, Jordan, Kenya, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Nigeria, the Palestinian Territories, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Tunisia, Yemen and Zimbabwe. However, a number of requirements have to be met for eligibility.
An applicant must:
- Be a woman with a minimum of two years of full-time professional experience in the Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) fields and/or a career requiring significant expertise/knowledge/application of technology;
- Have a university degree;
- Be proficient in written and spoken English;
- Demonstrate a willingness to participate in exchange programs, welcome opportunities for mentoring and new partnership development, and exhibit confidence and maturity;
- Be citizens or permanent residents of Algeria, Cameroon, Egypt, Jordan, Kenya, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Nigeria, the Palestinian Territories, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Tunisia, Yemen or Zimbabwe at the time of application, and while participating in the program;
- Not have applied for an immigrant visa to the United States, or participated in a visa lottery in the past five years;
- Be able to obtain a U.S. visa;
- Not hold U.S. Citizenship or be a U.S. legal permanent resident.
Preference will be given to applicants who:
- Have demonstrated themselves as emerging leaders in STEM fields;
- Have limited or no prior experience in the United States;
- Have a record of voluntary or public service in their communities;
- Have demonstrated entrepreneurialism and commitment to innovation.
Application deadline: February 22nd, 2013
If you have questions about the program, or the application process, please contact us at email@example.com or Tel: +1-415-362-6520 (Ext. 257)