Apple announced new years day the busiest day for app store with $240 million in customer purchases.
Since the App Store launched in 2008, developers have earned more than $60 billion from the App Store.
Photo credit: Apple
Looking back at 2015, App developers earned $20 billion in 2016 — up 40 percent from 2015. Customers broke all-time records this past holiday season with purchases from the App Store topping $3 billion in December and Nintendo’s Super Mario Run made history with more than 40 million downloads in just four days after its release, and was the most downloaded app globally on Christmas and New Year’s Day.
Photo credit: Apple
“2016 was a record-shattering year for the App Store, generating $20 billion for developers, and 2017 is off to a great start with January 1 as the single biggest day ever on the App Store. We want to thank our entire developer community for the many innovative apps they have created — which together with our products — help to truly enrich people’s lives.”
According to a press release by Apple;
- $240 million in customer purchases makes January 1, 2017 the App Store’s busiest day ever
- App developers earned $20 billion in 2016 — up 40 percent from 2015
- Customers broke all-time records this holiday season with purchases from theApp Store topping $3 billion in December
- Super Mario Run is also among last year’s top 10 most downloaded apps worldwide, with Pokémon Go taking the top spot.
- Prisma, Reigns, Procreate, Lumino City, Sweat With Kayla and djay Pro, from some of Apple’s independent developers, were among the most successful apps for iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Apple Watch and Mac, respectively.
- The App Store offers 2.2 million apps in total, up over 20 percent from last year.
- App Store is available in 155 countries
- The App Store’s top-grossing markets include the US, China, Japan and the UK, with China experiencing record year-over-year growth at an incredible 90 percent
- The Apps for Earth and Games for (RED) App Store promotional fundraisers raised over $17 million in total for the two organizations.
- iPhone and iPad customers now have access to over 21,000 iMessage apps to send stickers and easily collaborate with friends
- Apple’s move to enable subscriptions across multiple app categories has also driven App Store business, up 74% from 2015 to reach $2.7 billion in 2016.
- There are now over 20,000 apps offering subscription content.
What are the odds that hardly any purchases were made from Nigerian Apple users? Recession, among other realities?